Top 5 Questions to Ask Your Siding Contractor
When you’re having your siding re-done, you should be ready to ask your siding contractor some serious questions. Do it before they start the work, or even better, before you hire them. In this article, we’ll give you the top 5 questions to ask your siding contractor. We hope they help you when getting this work done.
- Does your siding contractor have Liability and Worker’s Compensation Insurance? Siding contractors have varying degrees of liability insurance. If the company doesn’t have any liability insurance, you could wind up having to pay for repairs or replace any damaged items and then sue the contractor. If a worker is injured on your property and the contractor doesn’t have worker’s compensation insurance, you could be held accountable for medical costs from any injuries sustained on your property. You should ask to see the proof of insurance before letting the workers set one foot on your property.
- Can your siding contractor add extra home insulation while performing the work? This can help lower your heating and cooling costs. It can also help keep energy usage in check. Professional siding contractors should at least discuss this option with you. The best time to get more insulation on your home is during a siding redo or repair.
- How long has your siding contractor been in business? You want to work with a company that has experience and references. You want to know you can rely on them. Beware of new siding or roofing companies. Some of them will disappear once they have your deposit. You want to choose a company with a track record of completing jobs. You can also ask for customer references and call them. If a company doesn’t have any references, take that as a warning sign not to use them.
- What’s their payment schedule? During the comparison and evaluation stage of choosing siding contractors, you should make sure you know when they want payment. Some companies require a specific amount down and then specific pages for each stage of the project. Some firms may require payment just upon completion of the project. If a company wants payment in full upfront, that’s another red flag. Don’t work with a company like that.
- What type of guarantees and warranties does the siding contractor offer? You’re making a rather big investment in your home. Did you know that siding can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $50,000 (see Is James Hardie Siding Worth It)? You want to make sure this investment is protected. Even a reputable siding company can make a defective product. Just make sure you’re not paying for someone else’s mistake. In addition to the product warranty, you’ll want to make sure that the siding contractor you choose will stand behind his or her work and will correct any issues arising from installation problems.
So, there you have it – 5 questions to ask your siding contractor. We hope you ask them of us when you choose to work with us. We always answer our clients’ questions to the fullest. We have nothing to hide and we have a great reputation. Give 21st Century a call at 512-219-0342 for more information. We’d be thrilled to work with you.