The Best Roof Repair or Installation Experience in Austin
Hail damage or damage resulting from bad weather are common issues, issues that can be seemingly small but, when left unfixed, could start costing more by the minute! Acting fast by calling an Austin roofing company will save you money in the long run. We even work with your insurance claims!
At 21st, we know that proper roofing is extremely important for your Texas home! Whether you want a residential or commercial roof repaired, installed or upgraded, you deserve fair prices and friendly service from professionals that are passionate about home improvement.
You next roof project is just around the corner – read why we we’re the best group in town to help you out.
The most important result people want from a company that is working on something as important as their roof is that a high-quality job is completed. We know that quality isn’t just about treating a job as if it was being done on our own home – it’s also about using the best materials available. The type of roofing materials are very important to ensuring you get a top-notch job – that way your investment is going to turn into amazing results. Talk to us today about which materials will be best suited for your Austin home.
We don’t just bring in good prices and friendly workers as part of our project package, we also bring in all our years of experience. A project that may seem simple at first could end up with plenty of unexpected needs – that’s where we come in! We know that every job is different and though there are plenty of base rules and regulation we follow to make sure you get an excellent roof, we’re also ready to conquer unique circumstances.
Yes, free estimates are key to making sure your next roofing project doesn’t get out of control and become something you can’t afford. We value the time and amount that you, the customer, will be putting towards making your home a better place. Because of this, we go out of our way to give you an estimate that is competitive with other companies, covers the entire project, and is attached to our unmatched service.
Signs That You Need a Roofing Repair
You don’t need to go up on top off the roof to check for signs of roof repair. Nope. In fact, there are plenty of signs on the inside that you need a roofing repair. In this article, we’ll explore those and tell you how to check to see if you need some roofing repairs.
To check for damage to your roof, you will want to look at the weakest part of your ceilings – that’s usually near the skylights if you have them. You’ll also want to check your attic. It’s the least travelled room in your house, most likely, and it bears the brunt of bad weather.
Grab a flashlight and look around
Walk around the inside of your home with lights on and a flashlight in your hand. Check ceilings and walls for discoloration. Make a pointed note to look in on the inside closets too. Pay attention to inside the water heater closet, over tubs, sinks, your stove, etc. Why? These areas may have vent pipes that go up to the roof. The ventilation they have may be sealed with mastic or tar and be one of the most common sources of a roof leak.
Look around the chimney
Your chimney has a metal flashing that can often leak. Seals will usually need to be resealed every few years over the life of your roof. Skylights are also a frequent source of leaks and the rubber gasket between the lens and the skylight frame only lasts about ten years.
Things you’re looking for specifically
- Leaks or seepage – the best time to check your attic for seepage is after a heavy rain or snow storm.
- Ceiling stains or paint blistering – if it appears in the interior walls and ceiling, then your roof is probably damaged. Damaged roofs will also produce yellow, brown or orange interior stains. This means water has found its way inside.
- Mold – mold that appears on the surface of your ceilings or walls can indicate a roof in need of repairs. Sometimes, you only know if mold is around if you have allergy-like symptoms well past allergy season. Mold can wreak havoc on your health so pay attention to the signs and realize that roofing repairs might do the trick.
- High Utility bills – a high utility bill can be sign that your roof needs some attention. If you’ve noticed sudden spike in heating or cooling costs, it could be your roof to blame.
Types of Roofing Material for Residential Roofs
Materials like thatch and mud make up roofs in other countries. In the United States, we have more solid roofing materials. In this article, we’ll go over some of the most common roofing materials you’ll see here.
This is probably the most common roofing material in America today. They are one of the least-expensive options and are available in a more than a dozen colors. Asphalt shingles are usually guaranteed for 20 – 30 years, making them an excellent value. The standard three-tab shingles are what cover most homes. For variety, you could use a thicker variant called an architectural shingle. They’re twice as thick and the layers are staggered to give them a heavier, more substantial look. They resemble slate in some colors and wood shake in others. They’re only a little more expensive than the three-tab asphalt shingle and they have a 30 year guarantee. All in all asphalt is a great roofing material.
Wood Shingles and Shakes
This roofing material can be purchased in cedar, redwood, southern pine and other woods with cedar costing the most. There’s a great variety in this roofing material. Cut by machine, wood shingles so they look smoother than the hand-cut wood shakes. Wood shingles and shakes have Class C fire ratings if they have them at all so you should check with your city’s building codes before you use this roofing material. You can buy Class A wood shingles with fire-resistant treatment for an additional cost.
Clay and Concrete Tiles
Clay tiles are heavy and require an additional roof framing. However, they are non-combustible and very durable. They can last more than 50 years. Clay roofing tiles come in lighter colors than some of other roofing materials. This means they adhere to cool roofing standards. They can reflect more than 50% of the sun’s solar energy.
Concrete tiles are elegant and enduring. They are versatile and protect the homeowner. They come in so many styles, shapes and colors that they don’t even look like tiles at all. Shingle, shake and slate are just some varieties of this type of roofing material.
Slate will give your roof a beautiful, distinctive appearance. It’s very heavy, but it is non-leaching and will last for hundreds of years. Slate is easy to repair and recycle. It’s often in a dark color so it’s not recommended for high-heat locations like Central Texas, however.
Metal roofs are cool in style and temperature. These roofing materials come in steel, aluminum, and copper. They have a high percentage of recycled content. They also offer high insulation solar reflectance and they’re durable, often lasting twice as long as wood or asphalt. Metal shingles simulate traditional roofing materials. Metal is much lighter than other roofing materials and resistant to adverse weather.
This composite of concrete, clay and wood fiber is durable and fireproof. It’s shaped to look like shakes. They’re not as heavy as concrete so they don’t need the extra frame. It’s available in a variety of textures and colors and is very durable – just don’t step on them or use them in very cold temperature areas where they can crack.
Residential Roofing Process
- Remove existing shingles.
- Inspect decking for damage.
- Install new felt or synthetic underlayment.
- Replace valley metal, and PVC pipe flashings.
- Install new composition, metal, tile or stone coated steel roof system.
- Seal all projections and paint as appropriate.
- 21st Century Painting and Roofing will roll yard, sidewalks, driveway, patios and flower beds around home to make every effort to pick up loose nails and debris.
- Check heater vent pipes upon completion of your roof to make sure that they haven’t become loose in the attic or improperly placed.
Roof Leaking? Contact 21st Century for all your composition, tile and metal roof repairs. For majority of roof leaks the homeowner with have to set up an appointment for the estimator to pinpoint area or areas of leaking. Don’t forget we also fix drywall and paint. Tree damaged areas can be inspected on an anytime basis if your schedule is hectic. Don’t just place a band-aid on your roof: fix the leak properly. On major leaks sealant will not last in our climate. At 21st Century Painting & Roofing the majority of repairs consist of removal and replacement of an area of shingles and inspection or replacement of underlayments. 21st Century also seals areas necessary as “preventative maintenance.”
Residential Roofing Homeowner Tips
- We will need access to the driveway to load materials on the roof.
- Be prepared for the noise!
- Removal of loose items from wall shelves and walls: pictures, plates, and figurines. Hammering may create vibrations that shake these items off of shelves and walls.
- Remove all items from around the house where roofing debris may fall: patio and pool furniture, potted plants, gardening equipment, and grills.
- Please check your power breakers and outside electrical outlets to make sure they are operating correctly. We will need to use power tools.
- Keep small children, guest and pets away from the work area.
Contact Residential Roofing Experts in Austin, TX
If you suspect that you need a roofing repair, fresh installation, or just an estimate please call us at 512-219-0342 for information! Our expert residential roof installers are waiting to help you on all your residential roofing needs.