How to Know When to Replace Your Roof
Your roof is a vital part of your house. It shields you from the sun and the rain and keeps heat and cool air in when necessary. You should learn the warning signs so you’ll know when to replace your roof. In this article we’ll go over some basics so you can replace your roof when it’s the right time.
The National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) recommends you do a roof inspection at least twice a year – once in the spring and once in the fall. You should do this inspection from inside your home. Grab a flashlight and head to the attic.
There are four things you should be looking for in this interior inspection. They are:
- Locations where the roof sags.
- Indications of water damage or leaks.
- Dark spots or trails.
- Outside light showing through your roof.
Now remember, if your roof is over 20 years old, you should probably consider getting a new roof especially if the ‘new’ roof was installed over layers of old roof. You can also check the exterior region to get an idea if you need a new roof installed. Things you should be looking for include:
- Cracked, torn, bald or missing shingles.
- Loose material or wear around the chimney, vent, pipes or other ‘penetrations.’
- Excessive amounts of shingle granules – they look like large grains of sand – in the gutters.
- Signs of rot, moisture or mold. Wet spots might not be under your faulty shingle. They can travel. Mold and bacteria grow quickly. Usually within 48 hours of a water-related issue.
- The drainage. Make sure gutters and downspouts are securely attached. The drains should be open and allow water to exit. Gutters and downspouts should be debris-free.
- That bath, kitchen and dryer vents go entirely outside of your house, not just in the attic space.
You’ll also want to make sure your shingles aren’t curling and buckling. If they are doing this especially in a sunny spot on your roof, this could mean that the shingles are past their life expectancy. There could also be a possibility your roof is defective. Either way, you need to contact professional roofers like us at 21st Century Painting & Roofing. We can be reached at 512-219-0342.